Sometimes I think that I live two different lives… The French country life and the city life. Depending on where I am, my focus changes.
When I am in the city… I think about fashion. When I am in the French country I think about our home and all things French… I think about interiors, styling and where the local flea markets are happening. This past week I have been in London enjoying the buzz of a big city and as you can probably tell my mind has turned to fashion… largely, because I have a trip to Paris soon and I need to pack… and also because I have had a love affair with fashion ever since I can remember.
I will be going to Paris on the train so a small bag is essential… I need a capsule wardrobe… which means I have to think about what to take… be ruthless… and only pack those pieces that work… The easy pack is the one that fits whatever you want… My Paris pack has to be practical, tight and allow me to look presentable…. I know from experience that the time spent planning my travel wardrobe this week will save me wasted moments next week… and I don’t want to lose any time in Paris thinking about, ‘what to wear’… I want to be out and about soaking everything up… catching up with friends, seeing what’s been worn on the streets, taking photographs, trying restaurants… packing as much into my few days as I can.
I try and adopt the French girl’s way of dressing when I travel… basic good pieces + accessories to add flair and personality. Space is limited, so black will be my base with accents of white… any colour will have to come from my accessories… As black is popular once again this season, supplementing my wardrobe for this trip has been delightfully easy.
My Paris Pack… The Basics…
1. Black slightly cropped pants to wear with flats or ankle boots for evening… Love the capri look and these type of trousers work with every shoe… à la Hepburn or à la stiletto..
2. Skinny jeans ( these work for me.. ) for day and night… with flats… with boots… with heels…
3. White shirt… the simple and the more ornate… I am mad for the frills and bows this season is showing
4. Black shirt… lace in particular… with the jeans… with the capri pants
5. Two white tee shirts and two black tee shirts… my day time basic under a coat
6. Cashmere sweater… black turtleneck… perfect for European/uncertain weather
6. Velvet blazer… looks great with a tee or over a more elaborate style blouse at night
7. Black slip style dress… The LBD… needs no explanation
8. Biker style ( very simple) leather jacket… Probably my biggest investment but it’s the one piece I anguished over and it is the one jacket that I wear constantly and receive the most compliments on
9. Trench coat or Anorak depending on the weather
Most of these pieces I already have but this year I have updated my shirts, found some new black trousers, another LBD and freshened up my tee shirts… They are simple items that can be interchanged and that can be worn from the morning through until the evening… I want to be able to add a pair of heels at night, my new drop earrings and be ready to go… Or throw my leather jacket over my LBD to smarten up my look… This packing plan might not rock fashion week or tell you anything you don’t know… but it works… these items can take you anywhere… especially to Paris… xv
NEED THE BASICS…
J Crew black Capri pants… here
J Brand Skinny Jeans… here
Tee shirts… here
Black Turtleneck… here
Trench coat… here